Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stupid Should Hurt or be Taxed


I read somewhere that the internet doesn't make you stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others. As true as that statement is, I must say that experiencing first hand stupidity on a daily basis doesn't give me the option of closing out the page as if I was on line looking at a website. Some of the things I witness and endure are down right painful at times. Why am I the one that has to suffer from others stupidity? I suffer enough from my own...damn. With that being said, I can firmly say that stupid should hurt or be taxed. Anytime I've done something stupid, I've injured myself or cost myself money.

According to some brief research I have done, based on the current United States debt, it breaks down to almost $40,000 per citizen at an estimated overall cost of $12,000,000,000,000+ and growing by the minute. Now I think about it, stupid should NOT hurt. That would send people to the ER and they wouldn't have insurance or money thus costing all of us more in the end.

I say let's tax stupidity. Some people's stupid nature can resolve our national debit in a few months.


There seems to be a whole different kind of stupid out there that's scary more than anything. There are many times I find myself wanting to blurt out to people, "Are you fucking stupid?" Instead, being the ever so sweet Southern Belle that I am, I do refrain from such episodes of hostility. Well, at least I don't do it face to face in a public forum. Let me review some of the waste of time stupid things I alone have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm going to be nice and not list my husband on this because if he reads it, well, that would have just been stupid on my behalf and I'll leave it at that.

By way of background, I work two jobs in addition to being married and having two children. My full time job, as demanding as it is, is truly a test in patience. I work for a large orthopedic group and I handle coordinating workers compensation patients...etc. I deal with insurance companies, attorneys, injured patients and anyone else that wants to call me and say things like, "I had surgery two days ago and I'm constipated. What should I do?" So, being nice I say,"Was the surgery a result of a work related injury? It wasn't? Let me transfer you over to the medical assistant so they can help you."

What I really want to say is, "How is your post operative constipation related to a work related injury? While you were on hold for me did you not LISTEN to the prompts and understand that you were going to talk to the workers compensation coordinator? I understand your frustration as obviously the constipation has affected your hearing but you are wasting not just my time but anyone else that may be trying to call me. I would also appreciate if you listened closely to the prompts the next time and when I'm nice to you and inform you I'm unable to medically advise you on your backed up plumbing and that you should speak to a medical assistant, do not give a long angry sigh. That gets you nowhere but maybe on hold a little longer. I guess you've been holding it enough lately anyway so it shouldn't matter. So, don't be a douche bag, okay?"

Some of these people who are injured have me scratching my head sometimes. I sometimes find myself saying..."Wait, you did what????" I mean, I've had some people tell me stories that are freaking crazy about how they were injured. Getting beat up by a kangaroo, falling into an open grave before a service, being stuck by an embalming needle, on a K-9 police chase on foot and falling into a hole in the woods but the dog kept going...the list goes on and on.

Enough about that...on to the second job which is part time, RETAIL.
Not just retail but the largest retailer in the world. I'm sure you can figure it out. Regardless of if I'm working the service desk or a register, I'm as pleasant as I can be. This is a job that's more therapeutic for me than anything. I have fun and work off stress at the same time. I just want to list a few things from my stand point I think the common customer should know about Wal*Mart employees.

1. I probably make more money than you. It's true. I'm not saying this goes for all WM employees but I'm paid very well for what I do considering...

2. Not unlike myself, many people have what's referred to as 'real time' jobs. You know, full time jobs and work at WM part time or they go to school full time.

3. We think it's funny that customers 'hate shopping at WM' and keep coming back over and over.

4. I like to see snotty women with their LV handbags pull out 5 different declined credit cards to try and buy $200 worth of items. Seriously? Out of all of your credit cards, you don't even have $200 worth of credit but you have a Louis Vuitton bag? Oh, thanks lady! You just caused my line to back up and now there are pissed off people headed my way.

5. Don't get an attitude with me because you don't have a receipt and want something credited back to your card. You know the card you can't remember to bring with you and you don't know what day you purchased the item because you don't have your receipt.

6. Don't come to the service desk and be pissed you have to wait. You knew you were going to have to wait before you even walked in the door. Some transactions are smoother than others. It's been my experience that at least 90% of the time it's the customer in front of you that's the problem not the employee. If you have something to say, grow a pair and say it to them.

7. I love seeing my parking lot full when I come to work. Know why? Bonuses baby. Yes I get them every quarter, even as a part time employee. Guess what...I spend some of my paycheck buying stock out of every check.

8. To all of the regular customers that always thought they were all that and so much better than the average person and now have lost their homes and jobs and ask me if we are hiring...the answer is GET IN LINE.

9. I'm easy to get along with. I'm the one you want to see at the service desk. I'm the one you want to be checked out by. Just know, I can only help the next person as soon as the one in front of you gets the hell out of the way.

10. Don't stand there and be surprised when I inform you that you have to pay. Now I have to wait on you to dig around and find money...great. Look behind you stupid. Do you see all of those people waiting on YOU not ME?

Oh yeah, get your shit and leave. Don't stand around straightening up your wallet and piss ass around about getting your bags.

Also, when it comes to self check out...if you can't do it, don't bother. It's called SELF CHECK OUT. The machine will tell you what to do if you don't know. Don't talk to the machine because it doesn't give a damn about what you have to say nor do I. Don't get pissed because your kid is sitting where you should be bagging things and it causes the machine to alert the attendant. Have some common sense about it. Don't come try to check yourself out and think I'm picking up that TV stand that needs assembling to help you scan it. Don't come through and try to buy two carts full of items and get pissed it took so long. Remember...'self check out'. I'm monitoring four check outs and I don't have time to babysit stupid people.